Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in downtown Vancouver shooting

Man charged in downtown Vancouver shooting
The Vancouver Police Department says the 32-year-old has been charged with attempted murder and discharging a firearm. In an earlier statement after the Sunday afternoon shooting, the department said officers were working on East Hastings Street around 2:30 p.m. when the 31-year-old victim was repeatedly shot.

Man charged in downtown Vancouver shooting

University of British Columbia midwifery expanded

University of British Columbia midwifery expanded
The expansion from 28 to 48 seats, includes a dozen new spots in the bachelor of midwifery program and eight positions in the midwives bridging program, helping internationally educated midwives to become registered to practise in B.C.

University of British Columbia midwifery expanded

Invoking Emergencies Act justified: commission

Invoking Emergencies Act justified: commission
The 2,000-page report called the "Freedom Convoy" a "singular moment in history" exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic as well as online misinformation and disinformation.

Invoking Emergencies Act justified: commission

Collision between a bus and a 41 year old male pedestrian leave him with life-threatening injuries

Collision between a bus and a 41 year old male pedestrian leave him with life-threatening injuries
The pedestrian was walking near the Sperling-Burnaby Lake Station Bus Loop when he was struck by a southbound transit bus turning into the bus loop just after 6 p.m. last night. It was dark and raining at the time of the crash, but all contributing factors in this incident are still under investigation.

Collision between a bus and a 41 year old male pedestrian leave him with life-threatening injuries

Suspect arrested in residential arson

Suspect arrested in residential arson
Mounties have located and arrested the suspect. The fire was believed to be intentionally set by a person known to the occupants. Police do not believe there is any ongoing threat to the general public.

Suspect arrested in residential arson

Chinese balloon flew through Canada's 'radar gaps'

Chinese balloon flew through Canada's 'radar gaps'
Pelletier and Maj.-Gen. Paul Prevost of the Canadian Armed Forces strategic joint staff are appearing before a parliamentary committee this morning. The two say the Chinese balloon passed near several Canadian military bases during its journey through Canada on Jan. 30-31.

Chinese balloon flew through Canada's 'radar gaps'