Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey, B.C., to get policing answer by spring

Surrey, B.C., to get policing answer by spring
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke tabled the city's draft five-year budget last week forecasting a 17.5 per cent property tax increase for this year, with 9.5 per cent of that being costs towards the police transition.    

Surrey, B.C., to get policing answer by spring

B.C. adds $180 million to natural disaster fund

B.C. adds $180 million to natural disaster fund
The ministry says the government's Community Emergency Preparedness Fund has previously supported projects that include a dike in Merritt, public cooling infrastructure in Victoria and tsunami evacuation planning in Tofino.    

B.C. adds $180 million to natural disaster fund

Canada welcomes record 226,450 Indian students in 2022

Canada welcomes record 226,450 Indian students in 2022
India was closely followed by China and the Philippines with 52,165 and 23,380 students, respectively.  In 2021, a total of 444,260 new study permits took effect, an increase from the 400,600 in 2019.

Canada welcomes record 226,450 Indian students in 2022

Liberals mum on Japan's invite to timber treaty

Liberals mum on Japan's invite to timber treaty
The organization currently includes 37 exporters of timber and 38 countries that import it, including all other G7 states. Canada was among the signatories to the 1983 treaty that originally created the organization, but Stephen Harper's Conservative government pulled out of it in 2013.

Liberals mum on Japan's invite to timber treaty

MPs could expand election interference study

MPs could expand election interference study
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said last week that Canadian voters alone decided the last federal election, playing down the suggestion that China tried to unduly sway the outcome. The committee has been studying foreign interference in the 2019 federal election since November.    

MPs could expand election interference study

First Nation to release school grave search info

First Nation to release school grave search info
The Tseshaht First Nation is presenting its search results in Port Alberni, B.C., after 18 months of planning and operations at the former site of the Alberni Indian Residential School. Tseshaht Nation officials say children from at least 100 Indigenous communities attended the school when it operated from 1900 to 1973.

First Nation to release school grave search info