Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. auditor flags data gaps in vaccine rollout

B.C. auditor flags data gaps in vaccine rollout
In his latest report on the province's COVID-19 vaccine coverage, auditor general Michael Pickup says the ministry had processes to estimate vaccination rates for residents and staff in long-term care and assisted living but the process was cumbersome.

B.C. auditor flags data gaps in vaccine rollout

Lost Victoria police notebook used in crime: cops

Lost Victoria police notebook used in crime: cops
The statement says the notebook contained about 60 names and 50 addresses, but none of the names or information relate to witnesses or victims. Police say they are notifying people whose information was leaked and are advising them to create safety plans to ensure their security.

Lost Victoria police notebook used in crime: cops

VPD identifies Downtown Eastside homicide victim as a 20 year old male

VPD identifies Downtown Eastside homicide victim as a 20 year old male
Thunder Dennis, 20, was found deceased inside the West Hotel near East Hastings and Carrall streets shortly before 7 a.m. The file remains under investigation.

VPD identifies Downtown Eastside homicide victim as a 20 year old male

Large drug investigation leads to huge seizure of cash, drugs, vehicles, and ammunition

Large drug investigation leads to huge seizure of cash, drugs, vehicles, and ammunition
In the summer of 2021, the Coquitlam Drugs and Organized Crime Unit (DOC) initiated a proactive project call ENEVERMIND, targeting several known drug traffickers working within the Tri-Cities. 5 suspects ranging in age from 20 to 46 years old, were arrested without incident during the execution of the search warrants.

Large drug investigation leads to huge seizure of cash, drugs, vehicles, and ammunition

RED FM fundraising for Turkey & Syria earthquake relief

RED FM fundraising for Turkey & Syria earthquake relief
To help those impacted by these catastrophic earthquakes, Surrey based radio station CKYE 931 is doing a fundraiser on Feb 16, 2023. Funds raised will benefit the Canadian Red Cross.       

RED FM fundraising for Turkey & Syria earthquake relief

Suspicious man at Pacific Spirit Park in the UBC area believed to follow walkers and perform an indecent act

Suspicious man at Pacific Spirit Park in the UBC area believed to follow walkers and perform an indecent act
On Tuesday, Police received a report of a man believed to be following a group of walkers and another report of a man performing an indecent act. In both instances, the man was described as Caucasian, 17 to 25-years-old with a slim build and dirty blonde hair.

Suspicious man at Pacific Spirit Park in the UBC area believed to follow walkers and perform an indecent act