Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.
Premier David Eby's government has been spending what was projected as an almost $6-billion surplus from last year’s budget on pressing issues like disaster mitigation, addiction treatment and cost-of-living supports.

Minister suggests budget deficits on way for B.C.

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school
Students who weren't able to take the day off were bused to a local middle school. Conservation officers tried to get the raccoon to leave but it climbed up into the space above the ceiling tiles.    

Raccoon causes all-day recess for B.C. school

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault
Henry Paul Wiens, 52, was arrested early Saturday morning by VPD officers working in the downtown core. Wiens had been wanted since February 15 for the alleged assault of a 93-year-old man who was knocked to the ground on Main Street on October 11.

VPD arrests suspect in Chinatown senior assault

Canada banning TikTok on government-issued phones

Canada banning TikTok on government-issued phones
A statement from Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the application will be removed from mobile devices on Tuesday. The decision follows a review by the chief information officer of Canada, who determined that TikTok "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."    

Canada banning TikTok on government-issued phones

Canada-China trade record as imports hit $100B

Canada-China trade record as imports hit $100B
Economists and others say businesses are looking beyond political tensions between the two countries, as demand ramps up and established supply chains reassert themselves in a post-pandemic world.

Canada-China trade record as imports hit $100B

Republicans shift gaze toward Canada-U.S. border

Republicans shift gaze toward Canada-U.S. border
Rep. Mike Kelly from Pennsylvania and Montana Rep. Ryan Zinke are launching a new congressional caucus focused on immigration, crime and national security at the Canada-U.S. border. The "Northern Border Security Caucus," to be officially announced Tuesday, is being billed as bipartisan, although it's unclear if any of its 28 members are Democrats.

Republicans shift gaze toward Canada-U.S. border