Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

MPs frustrated over Rolling Truck Age Program

MPs frustrated over Rolling Truck Age Program
A letter from Surrey, B.C., MP Randeep Sarai says he has met with truckers who have complied with the new measures but still find it unreasonable and worry about the requirement to replace more vehicles from their fleets down the road.

MPs frustrated over Rolling Truck Age Program

Here's what you need to know to get a head start on filing your 2022 taxes

Here's what you need to know to get a head start on filing your 2022 taxes
The filing deadline of April 30 falls on a Sunday this year, so Canadians have until May 1 to finish filing their taxes. But a looming strike for CRA workers may be on the horizon. In the fall, the CRA said about $1.4 billion in uncashed checks was sitting in its coffers.

Here's what you need to know to get a head start on filing your 2022 taxes

Late winter chill frosts much of B.C.

Late winter chill frosts much of B.C.
Extreme cold or Arctic outflow warnings are posted for the central and north coasts, Chilcotin and Peace River areas and the southeastern corner of B.C. Metro Vancouver and the south coast could expect snow this weekend, as models show five to 10 centimetres possible over Metro Vancouver by Sunday. 

Late winter chill frosts much of B.C.

Burnaby RCMP search for suspect after a 15 year old male stabbed in Metrotown area

Burnaby RCMP search for suspect after a 15 year old male stabbed in Metrotown area
The victim, a 15-year-old male youth, ran into a business in the 4500-block of Central Boulevard and told staff that he had been stabbed by an unknown male. Attending officers secured the scene and conducted patrols for the suspect.

Burnaby RCMP search for suspect after a 15 year old male stabbed in Metrotown area

2 females found dead inside a Richmond home on Family Day holiday: IHIT

2 females found dead inside a Richmond home on Family Day holiday: IHIT
Police found the bodies of a 43-year old woman and a 14-year old girl, inside the residence. The two victims were related.   

2 females found dead inside a Richmond home on Family Day holiday: IHIT

Suspects identified in racist graffiti incident

Suspects identified in racist graffiti incident
Patrol officers and the Youth Support Team worked diligently to identify the suspects, all three of whom are youths. The youths have cooperated with the investigation and have taken responsibility for their actions.

Suspects identified in racist graffiti incident