Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal money to come for Vancouver's Chinatown

Federal money to come for Vancouver's Chinatown
The Vancouver Chinatown Foundation says more than $1.3 million of the funding will be used modernize buildings, including the Chinese Cultural Centre, Chinatown Storytelling Centre and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Gardens, with new lighting, signage and awnings.    

Federal money to come for Vancouver's Chinatown

Repatriation ceremony at B.C. museum for totem

Repatriation ceremony at B.C. museum for totem
Drummers and singers from the Nuxalk Nation participated in a ceremony today with the goal to reawaken the spirit of the totem by Louie Snow, an Indigenous carver who lost many works to the Royal B.C. Museum and other institutions.

Repatriation ceremony at B.C. museum for totem

Police seek info regarding missing female Kamaljit Tiwana

Police seek info regarding missing female Kamaljit Tiwana
Kamaljit Tiwana was believed to be driving a grey 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, which was located abandoned by Delta Police in a northbound lane on the Alex Fraser Bridge early Sunday morning. Kamaljit Tiwana is described as a 42-year-old South Asian woman, 5’5, 99 lbs. with brown eyes and black hair.

Police seek info regarding missing female Kamaljit Tiwana

Fourth flying object shot down by U.S. military

Fourth flying object shot down by U.S. military
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Sunday Canada and the U.S. were co-operating and in constant communication about the situation, adding both countries and the North American Aerospace Defence Command are taking the situation very seriously.    

Fourth flying object shot down by U.S. military

12 injured in Ottawa gas explosion, including kids

12 injured in Ottawa gas explosion, including kids
Two men had serious injuries, but all in hospital were in stable condition, they said. Other injured people were released at the scene. The explosion occurred around 6:18 a.m. local time and affected four homes that were under construction, said Ottawa deputy fire chief David Matschke.    

12 injured in Ottawa gas explosion, including kids

U.S. shoots down 'object' near Canada-U.S. border

U.S. shoots down 'object' near Canada-U.S. border
National Security Council co-ordinator John Kirby confirmed the latest encounter and its location during Friday's press briefing at the White House, and said the order to shoot it down came directly from President Joe Biden.

U.S. shoots down 'object' near Canada-U.S. border