Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby
Police say they were told the suspect had gone to a home a block away on Graveley Street. With the help of the Vancouver Emergency Response Team, RCMP took three men into custody outside the residence, while two suspects remained inside.Police say they were told the suspect had gone to a home a block away on Graveley Street.    

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby

Man shot and killed by Vancouver police

Man shot and killed by Vancouver police
Vancouver police say they received a 911 call around 6:45 p.m. about a person acting erratically on the Granville Street Bridge. Police say when they arrived, there was an altercation between a man and officers. The man was shot and killed by police.

Man shot and killed by Vancouver police

Former North Vancouver councillor killed in fire

Former North Vancouver councillor killed in fire
North Vancouver Mayor Linda Buchanan says in a statement that former councillor Bob Fearnley and his daughter both died in an early morning blaze Thursday in the city's Delbrook neighbourhood.

Former North Vancouver councillor killed in fire

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver
The statement from Vancouver police says 34-year-old Jeff Jeanty died in a suspicious fire on Jan. 3, but due to the "sensitive nature" of the investigation, few details could be provided at the time.  The woman, in her 20s with a fair complexion, is described as 5’8” tall, with a small to medium build.      

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized
The investigation resulted in CFSEU-BC executed 13 search warrants between October 13, 2022 and January 23, 2023 in several Peace Region communities and 23 people were arrested and released pending charge approval and the judicial process.     

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police
The 74-year-old victim was standing at a bus stop near Main and Keefer streets at 5:30 a.m. when a stranger walked up behind her and pushed her to the ground. The woman was taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police