Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. forecasts one million-plus jobs over decade

B.C. forecasts one million-plus jobs over decade
The government says its labour forecast helps businesses, post-secondary institutions, organizations and governments plan for the future. Selina Robinson, post-secondary education and future skills minister, says key growth areas for work will be in the technology and health-care sectors.

B.C. forecasts one million-plus jobs over decade

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C
Defence Minister Anita Anand and Economic Development Minister François-Philippe Champagne are joining forces in the U.S. capital, selling the idea that Canada's nascent critical minerals industry makes it an ideal partner in fortifying a North American defence industrial base.

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report
Immigration minister Sean Fraser has argued that a boost to immigration is necessary to address labour shortages and Canada's aging population. The Desjardins analysis finds Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba would see the most GDP growth rate boost among provinces.

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid
Both Turkey and Syria were rocked Monday by the massive quake, setting off international aid efforts that now include a $10-million commitment from the Canadian government and search and rescue teams being flown in from the United States.

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.
The charges relate to alleged violations of occupational health and safety regulations under the Workers Compensation Act, and court records show a first appearance is scheduled next month in a Prince Rupert courtroom.

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare
The 51-year-old male driver has been arrested and faces charges of homicide and dangerous driving, Erika Landry, spokesperson with the police in Laval, Que., told reporters. The injuries suffered by the six children in hospital are not life-threatening. Authorities did not release the ages of the dead and injured children.

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare