Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers
The provinces budgeted about $204 billion for health care in this fiscal year and the Canada Health Transfer was set at $45 billion, or about 22 per cent of that. The premiers want the federal share to increase to 35 per cent.

Trudeau to present new health offer to premiers

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid
The death toll of Monday's earthquake has surpassed 6,200 and is expected to rise as search and rescue operations continue. Turkish Canadians have also stepped in to raise funds and collect donations to send to their country of origin.

Canada announces $10 million in earthquake aid

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C
The 46-year-old Chasing Horse remains behind bars in the U.S. after being formally charged Monday in North Las Vegas with counts including sex trafficking, sexual assault against a child younger than 16, and child abuse.

U.S. actor charged in Nevada also charged in B.C

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September
Labour Minister Harry Bains introduced a bill in the legislature today, saying the holiday will be observed this September and every Sept. 30 afterwards. He says the B.C. holiday follows the federal government's decision in 2021 to declare Sept. 30 a national truth and reconciliation holiday for its workers.

B.C. to have a reconciliation holiday in September

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast
In October, the regional district said the reservoir — which serves about 90 per cent of residents in the area — was at risk of "imminent exhaustion" as southern B.C. recorded an unseasonably dry summer and warm fall.

Drought water restrictions lift on Sunshine Coast

B.C. aims to put surplus to work despite downturn

B.C. aims to put surplus to work despite downturn
The government's throne speech, read by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin in the legislature today, outlines a political agenda for the coming months that includes a plan to support people amid rising costs now and in the long term.

B.C. aims to put surplus to work despite downturn