Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police investigate homicide in Chinatown

Vancouver Police investigate homicide in Chinatown
Officers responded to West Pender and Carrall Street shortly after midnight and discovered a man who was deceased. The victim has not yet been identified and no arrests have been made.    

Vancouver Police investigate homicide in Chinatown

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau
Thousands of buildings were reported collapsed in a wide area extending from Syria’s cities of Aleppo and Hama to Turkey’s Diyarbakir, more than 330 kilometres to the northeast. Some 18,000 people were killed in similarly powerful earthquakes that hit northwest Turkey in 1999.

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges
Raj Grewal's lawyer argues that prosecutors have not presented enough evidence to find him guilty of the two breach of trust charges, and the Crown has failed to establish essential elements required for such a finding.

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature
Premier David Eby says economists are predicating a "global slowdown and potentially recession" and his government is focused on keeping the economy strong by building trade relationships and supporting businesses.

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better
Association chief economist Brendon Ogmundson blames expected sluggish sales this year on a slowing economy and ongoing, elevated mortgage rates. The forecast predicts residential sales in B-C will skid 7.1 per cent this year before surging nearly 24 per cent in 2024.    

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack
The survivor has life-threatening injuries, but police say the public is not believed to be at risk. IHIT is trying to determine if the tripped alarm and triggered sprinklers could be linked to the case.

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack