Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Groundhog Day: Fred la Marmotte dead

Groundhog Day: Fred la Marmotte dead
According to folklore, if a groundhog sees its shadow on Groundhog Day, winter will drag on. However, if it doesn't spot its shadow, spring-like weather will soon arrive. Folklorists say the Groundhog Day ritual may have something to do with Feb. 2 landing midway between winter solstice and spring equinox, but no one knows for sure.   

Groundhog Day: Fred la Marmotte dead

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge
The civil liberties association statement says although the independent review in 2019 found "reasonable grounds" to believe two officers may have committed offences related to use of force, and three others may have obstructed justice, the Crown was not handed a final report until 2020, and charge approval took nearly three more years.

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers
Sgt. Jon Eusebio Cruz, and constables Arthur Dalman and Clarence MacDonald are accused of attempting to obstruct justice. RCMP said at the time of the arrest that 35-year-old Arthur Dale Culver appeared to have trouble breathing before he died in while in police custody.

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect
Adrian Dix says that number reflects doctors who signed up in advance or within hours of its launch, and he expects it to grow "dramatically." He says the model, developed by the province and Doctors of BC, aims to attract doctors to family practice and keep them there by addressing challenges that arise in the existing fee-for-service system.

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time
The memorial honours 376 Indians, including Sikhs, Muslims and Hindus, who sailed to Canada from India in 1914, but were turned away by the country, which left them stuck on the ship for two months with dire conditions.

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry
The column, co-written with former Canadian Jewish Congress CEO Bernie Farber, cited polling data to say that "a majority of Quebecers" who supported Bill 21 also held anti-Muslim views. Farber and Elghawaby, a journalist and human-rights activist, were board members with the Canadian Anti-Hate Network at the time.

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry