Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male
IHIT investigators have identified the victim as a 17-year old man, who lived in the complex in which the shooting took place. At approximately 9:15 a.m. a White Nissan Rogue was reported to have been set on fire in the area of 173 Street and 101 Avenue in Surrey.   

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male

Surrey RCMP investigate multiple acts of man exposing himself

Surrey RCMP investigate multiple acts of man exposing himself
On Wednesday, Surrey RCMP received a report that a man was masturbating in the pathway behind a townhouse complex located in the 6400-block of 168 Street. The man jumped a fence entering the backyard of one of the units, and then used a flashlight to capture the attention of the residents before shining the light on his exposed genitalia.

Surrey RCMP investigate multiple acts of man exposing himself

Abbotsford Police investigate home invasion and find a drug lab and a man's body

Abbotsford Police investigate home invasion and find a drug lab and a man's body
Upon police arrival, officers located a body of a man. During the search of the home, police also found a drug lab. Early indications suggest that this incident is targeted, and the public is not at risk.    

Abbotsford Police investigate home invasion and find a drug lab and a man's body

Canada summons Chinese ambassador over balloon

Canada summons Chinese ambassador over balloon
Canada's Department of National Defence said the balloon's movements were being actively tracked by the North American Aerospace Defence Command, which is responsible for monitoring airborne threats to the continent.    

Canada summons Chinese ambassador over balloon

Freeland meets with finance ministers in Toronto

Freeland meets with finance ministers in Toronto
The meeting will focus on the economic situation both domestically and globally, according to a federal source with knowledge of the gathering, including discussions on how to provide incentives and supports to be competitive with the U.S.'s Inflation Reduction Act.

Freeland meets with finance ministers in Toronto

Global meeting in B.C. looks at ocean conservation

Global meeting in B.C. looks at ocean conservation
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Joyce Murray and Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault are both to attend the IMPAC5 conference, joining thousands of delegates from 123 countries. Conference sessions begin Saturday and will last through the week.

Global meeting in B.C. looks at ocean conservation