Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Extreme cold grips much of Eastern Canada

Extreme cold grips much of Eastern Canada
In scores of cities and towns, government and private agencies were scrambling to provide shelter for vulnerable people as the wind was expected to make the temperature feel like -40 C to -50 C in many areas.

Extreme cold grips much of Eastern Canada

Chinatown graffiti vandal arrested: VPD

Chinatown graffiti vandal arrested: VPD
Officers patrolling the neighbourhood arrested the vandal – a man in his 60s – Wednesday afternoon, after he allegedly wrote graffiti on a building near Abbott and West Pender Street, then tagged a sign near Main and Keefer Street. 

Chinatown graffiti vandal arrested: VPD

Tom Clark to be Canada's envoy in New York City

Tom Clark to be Canada's envoy in New York City
Clark will be Canada's consul general in New York, putting him in charge of Ottawa's efforts to sow cultural and economic ties in the Big Apple, as well as in neighboring American states and in Bermuda.

Tom Clark to be Canada's envoy in New York City

Test requirement extended for travel from China

Test requirement extended for travel from China
The government says it's concerned about reports of a dramatic increase in COVID-19 cases in China, and the lack of data available from China about potential variants that could be spreading through the country.

Test requirement extended for travel from China

Jan. home sales down 55% from year earlier: REBGV

Jan. home sales down 55% from year earlier: REBGV
The board says sales for the month totalled 1,022, a 55 per cent drop from the prior January. The number of homes that changed hands last month was also 42.9 per cent below the 10-year January sales average.    

Jan. home sales down 55% from year earlier: REBGV

Man acquitted over 'automatism' stabbing of wife

Man acquitted over 'automatism' stabbing of wife
In his decision, Justice Warren Milman outlines Perignon's difficulties with extreme pain from two separate motor vehicle accidents, leading to an opioid prescription described in the judgment as "dangerously high" and above a level that would be "fatal for someone naive to opioids."    

Man acquitted over 'automatism' stabbing of wife