Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown
VPD officers, who had been patrolling the area after reports of a group of teens knocking over planters and kicking doors, located the injured victim, then arrested the suspects nearby.    

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police
45 year old Norvie Nativdad of New Westminster has been charged with Possession of Stolen Property Over $5000, Breach of Undertaking Order, Breach of Release Order, and Unauthorized use of credit card. 

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead
B.C.'s Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma says the province reached out to Public Safety Canada on Monday morning, just hours after the quake, because such emergency assistance needs to be co-ordinated.

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead

Former B.C. premier Horgan to leave politics

Former B.C. premier Horgan to leave politics
While he didn't give a specific time for his departure, he suggested St. Patrick's Day on March 17 might be a good day to go. Horgan, who's 63, has twice battled cancer, and announced last June that health reasons were forcing him to retire from the premier's job after five years.

Former B.C. premier Horgan to leave politics

Service gap in B.C. correctional centres: audit

Service gap in B.C. correctional centres: audit
A report from the office of B.C.'s auditor general says the audit found "full care plans" were completed for fewer than half of 92 sample clients jailed in eight of the province's 10 institutions between January 2019 and December 2021.

Service gap in B.C. correctional centres: audit

Canada looks to help applicants from Turkey, Syria

Canada looks to help applicants from Turkey, Syria
Two major earthquakes rocked southwestern Turkey and northwestern Syria in a matter of hours on Monday, destroying thousands of buildings. The confirmed death toll keeps rising, with more than 19,800 people killed and at least another 64,000 injured.

Canada looks to help applicants from Turkey, Syria