Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund
Premier David Eby says the fund will allow non-profit groups to buy older buildings and protect renters from property speculators. Eby says in B.C. and across Canada older rental buildings are being purchased by property speculators and large corporations that redevelop the housing, evict the current tenants and either increase the rent or sell the units.    

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.
The shut down will result in a reduction of 280,000 tonnes of market kraft pulp annually. Canfor says the decision to close the pulp line at the Prince George mill came after an "extensive analysis" of its operations and the long-term supply of fibre in the area.

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.

3 Surrey homicide victims identified

3 Surrey homicide victims identified
On January 9, 2023, shortly after noon, Surrey RCMP attended a residence in the 15600-block of 112 Avenue. Upon arrival, officers discovered three deceased adults inside the home. The IHIT says the bodies of 56-year-old Xiao Yan Zhen, 58 year-old Li Li and their 24-year-old son, Daniel Li, were in the home.      

3 Surrey homicide victims identified

Storm lashes B.C. south coast with rain, wind

Storm lashes B.C. south coast with rain, wind
Rain and wind warnings cover much of Vancouver Island and the inner south coast as the remnants of a storm that brought flooding to California now hammers southern B.C. Environment Canada estimates total rainfall of 50 to 100 millimetres before conditions ease Friday.

Storm lashes B.C. south coast with rain, wind

New Westminster Police on the lookout for a blue Pontiac Sunfire after man brutally assaulted

New Westminster Police on the lookout for a blue Pontiac Sunfire after man brutally assaulted
The New Westminster Police Department Major Crime Unit has learned the victim was assaulted by someone who was with two other people at the time of the assault. After the assault, the group left the area in a vehicle, and investigators are hoping by sharing video of this vehicle, a suspect will be identified.

New Westminster Police on the lookout for a blue Pontiac Sunfire after man brutally assaulted

Man arrested and charged for carrying a gun into a Downtown bar: VPD

Man arrested and charged for carrying a gun into a Downtown bar: VPD
VPD officers responded to Granville and Robson Street around 6 p.m. Monday, after a witness reported seeing a man with a gun inside a bar. Marcus Phillip Van Schilt, 45, is now charged with possession of a weapon and breaching bail.  

Man arrested and charged for carrying a gun into a Downtown bar: VPD