Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Flu season getting back to normal in B.C.: Henry

Flu season getting back to normal in B.C.: Henry
The influenza outbreak that resulted in the deaths of six young people in British Columbia last month is on the decline, but the provincial health officer says the flu season is far from over. Dr. Bonnie Henry says there have been no reported deaths of young people since last month when the province experienced an unusual spike of flu-rated cases during November and December.

Flu season getting back to normal in B.C.: Henry

Man charged in 4 break and enters in Richmond, 3 of which took place the same day

Man charged in 4 break and enters in Richmond, 3 of which took place the same day
The break and enters all occurred in March of 2022, three of the four having taken place on the same day. At approximately 3:29 am on March 21, 2022, a suspect allegedly broke into a store in the 9200 block of Alderbridge Way and stole approximately $ 2500.00 in merchandise. 

Man charged in 4 break and enters in Richmond, 3 of which took place the same day

Surrey RCMP seize 184 grams of Fentanyl, large amounts of cocaine, and over $7K in cash

Surrey RCMP seize 184 grams of Fentanyl, large amounts of cocaine, and over $7K in cash
8 people were arrested inside the residence at the time the search warrant was executed. One person was held in custody for breach of probation and the others were released pending further investigation.

Surrey RCMP seize 184 grams of Fentanyl, large amounts of cocaine, and over $7K in cash

Canada needs more newcomers: Immigration minister

Canada needs more newcomers: Immigration minister
In November, the federal Liberal government announced a new immigration plan that would see Canada welcome 500,000 immigrants per year by 2025. A record-breaking 431,645 people became permanent residents in 2022.    

Canada needs more newcomers: Immigration minister

Federal back-to-office mandate begins Monday

Federal back-to-office mandate begins Monday
Treasury Board President Mona Fortier announced last month that all departments must bring workers back to the office at least two to three times a week by the end of March. In an interview Thursday, she did not specify what the consequences may be for anyone who refuses to return.    

Federal back-to-office mandate begins Monday

Arrest made in suspected arson in Coquitlam

Arrest made in suspected arson in Coquitlam
Coquitlam RCMP say all residents were able to get out of the house safely, and there were no physical injuries. The Mounties say it is believed the fire was intentionally set by someone who knew the occupants.

Arrest made in suspected arson in Coquitlam