Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance
Canada's alcohol industry is pushing back against a call for mandatory warning labels on booze containers as suggested in new guidance that also greatly limits the recommended amount Canadians should be drinking. CJ Hélie, president of Beer Canada, said the industry is voluntarily informing people to drink responsibly so there's no need for any labels.    

Alcohol industry pushes back against new guidance

Abbotsford Police looking for a suspect in a hit and run case that claimed the life of a 38 year old man

Abbotsford Police looking for a suspect in a hit and run case that claimed the life of a 38 year old man
On December 11th of last year, 38-year-old Marc Ellis of Abbotsford, tragically lost his life after being struck by a 2019 red Dodge Ram pickup truck while attempting to rescue a dog running on the roadway. Abbotsford Police have identified the truck's owner, an Abbotsford business. To date, the business owner is not cooperating with the police investigation.

Abbotsford Police looking for a suspect in a hit and run case that claimed the life of a 38 year old man

'We need justice': Wife of Sikh man slain in Canada New Year day shooting

'We need justice': Wife of Sikh man slain in Canada New Year day shooting
Barinder Singh, who hails from Punjab and had moved to Edmonton in 2019 along with family, was asleep when intruders broke into his house at Mill Woods Road and started firing, the Global News reported. Police responded to a disturbance around 2.45 a.m., and found an injured 51-year-old man lying in a pool of blood.

'We need justice': Wife of Sikh man slain in Canada New Year day shooting

B.C. health support workers have tentative deal

B.C. health support workers have tentative deal
The BC General Employees' Union and Health Employers Association announced the agreement Monday, saying it was reached early Sunday morning. The contract covers 21,700 people who work in private homes, group homes, residential living centres, child development, mental-health centres and other programs around B.C.

B.C. health support workers have tentative deal

Two high end BMWs impounded and the 2 male drivers in their 20's ticketed after racing and then crashing on Sunday

Two high end BMWs impounded and the 2 male drivers in their 20's ticketed after racing and then crashing on Sunday
The drivers, both of whom were males in their 20s, were issued tickets for Excessive speed and Drive without Due Care and Attention totaling over $ 1500. Their vehicles were also impounded for 7 days, however, both vehicles may well be written off due to the extent of damage.

Two high end BMWs impounded and the 2 male drivers in their 20's ticketed after racing and then crashing on Sunday

B.C. unveils new housing permit process

B.C. unveils new housing permit process
A single application process is being created, and Eby says permit and authorization decisions will be expedited through a cross-ministry team focused solely on processing housing permits. He says 42 new full-time staff will be hired to identify the highest-priority housing and will steer those through the process quickly and efficiently.

B.C. unveils new housing permit process