Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. tenants ordered to pay $500,000 after fire

B.C. tenants ordered to pay $500,000 after fire
Chou and her former partner Danny Chen, who was not living there but was still listed as a tenant, have been ordered to pay the Langara Gardens apartment building more than $512,000 for damages caused by the fire. The fire spread to other apartments, and the court ruled Chou will also pay $56,000 to Langara Gardens for the rent lost while 10 units were repaired.    

B.C. tenants ordered to pay $500,000 after fire

Delta Police need the public's help in locating high risk woman Nev Bains

Delta Police need the public's help in locating high risk woman Nev Bains
A 54-year-old woman, Nev Bains, was last seen at her North Delta home that morning. Nev’s car has been located in the Bridgeview area of Surrey.  Nev is described as 5’3” tall, approximately 140 lbs, with medium-length black hair.  

Delta Police need the public's help in locating high risk woman Nev Bains

One person dead following a crash at 152nd St and Guildford Dr in Surrey on a Sunday

One person dead following a crash at 152nd St and Guildford Dr in Surrey on a Sunday
In the early morning hours on Sunday, at 5:04am, Surrey RCMP responded to the report of a two vehicle collision at the intersection of 152 St and Guilford Dr. Sadly one of the occupants died at the scene.    

One person dead following a crash at 152nd St and Guildford Dr in Surrey on a Sunday

Vancouver council mulls $2M support for Chinatown

Vancouver council mulls $2M support for Chinatown
The plan stems from a council resolution passed in November that would help clean up Chinatown's streets, alleys and sidewalks, remove litter and needles, halt any new graffiti, remove old tags and address vandalism and other problems. Costs are pegged at just over $2.1 million this year.    

Vancouver council mulls $2M support for Chinatown

Federal workers back to the office starting today

Federal workers back to the office starting today
The return to work comes at a fraught time for public transit in the national capital region, where the federal government has a majority of its offices. An ice storm that hit Ottawa on Jan. 4 caused the city's light rail transit system to partially shut down for six days.      

Federal workers back to the office starting today

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time
The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger. Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.    

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time