Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash
Clark says a 26-year-old man, a 25-year-old woman and an eight-day-old infant were killed in the passenger vehicle, while a two-year-old child survived and is expected to recover from their injuries. The only person in the pickup was treated for minor injuries at the scene.

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries
The insurance corporation says in a news release that Nicolas Jimenez has been with them for almost 20 years. Board chair Catherine Holt says Jimenez has made many contributions during his tenure, including the “remarkable transformation” of the public auto insurer.

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas
The British Columbia government is promising up to $90 million over three years to support new industrial and manufacturing projects in communities hurt by the downturn in the forestry industry. Premier David Eby made the announcement in Prince George, where Canfor Pulp Products said last week it was closing the pulp line at its mill, eliminating 300 jobs by the end of the year.

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table
On December 1st, 2022, a search warrant was executed on a suspected gaming house inside of a residential home in the 6000 block of Skaha Crescent, Richmond. Investigators also learned that one of the caretakers of the house and one of the card dealers were non-Canadian citizens and subject to deportation.  

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide
Officers were called to an SRO hotel near East Hastings and Carrall Street shortly before 7 a.m. today and discovered a man who was deceased. The victim has not been identified.

Vancouver Police investigate Downtown Eastside homicide

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault
Mohammed Abu Sayed, 69, was given a six-month conditional sentence that includes two months house arrest, followed by 18 months of probation. During that time, he is banned from operating any ride-share vehicle, taxi, limousine or any other mode of transportation for remuneration. 

Former Uber driver convicted of sexual assault