Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian recovering in hospital after being struck on Highway 1 Eastbound in Abbotsford

Pedestrian recovering in hospital after being struck on Highway 1 Eastbound in Abbotsford
The incident took place at 2pm and Emergency crews were on scene.  Highway 1 is now reopened. Pedestrian is recovering in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Pedestrian recovering in hospital after being struck on Highway 1 Eastbound in Abbotsford

Two bodies found inside Coldstream, B.C., home

Two bodies found inside Coldstream, B.C., home
Police say a man with potentially life-threatening injuries was also found in the home and another man was taken into custody. The injured man was transported to hospital for medical treatment.

Two bodies found inside Coldstream, B.C., home

Canadian fighter dies in Ukraine: reports

Canadian fighter dies in Ukraine: reports
Multiple media reports say Grygorii Tsekhmistrenko died on Sunday near the city of Bakhmut. A friend of Tsekhmistrenko's spoke with The Canadian Press while on his way to meet the fighter's family to help make funeral arrangements.

Canadian fighter dies in Ukraine: reports

BC RCMP discover a 'Drug Super Lab' in Abbotsford

BC RCMP discover a 'Drug Super Lab' in Abbotsford
Mounties seized approximately 36 pounds of crystal methamphetamine, 4 kg of pure fentanyl, more than 700 pounds of marihuana bud, approximately $20,000.00 in cash, and a cache of precursor chemicals for the production of fentanyl.

BC RCMP discover a 'Drug Super Lab' in Abbotsford

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000
On January 11th, a West Vancouver woman in her 30s was arrested by investigators for Fraud over $5000. Its is alleged the employee was hired by a local business in North Vancouver. During her employment from June to September 2021, it is alleged she made several large refunds to her personal credit cards.

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000

Search still on for residential school records

Search still on for residential school records
Without records documenting the genocide of Indigenous Peoples, special interlocutor Kimberly Murray said, "deniers will continue to deny" and future generations could be led to forget. Survivors of the residential institutions have a "right to know," Murray told a national gathering on unmarked burials in Vancouver on Tuesday.    

Search still on for residential school records