Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding
The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Ottawa to extend EI sickness benefits

Ottawa to extend EI sickness benefits
Workers applying for EI will be eligible for the more-generous benefits starting on Dec. 18, with advocates praising the move but urging the government to make good on its promise for a much bigger overhaul of the system. Qualtrough made the announcement while visiting the Canadian Cancer Society's regional care centre in Vancouver.

Ottawa to extend EI sickness benefits

Kids' pain meds hitting pharmacy shelves: Duclos

Kids' pain meds hitting pharmacy shelves: Duclos
Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer, said that COVID-19, RSV and influenza are continuing to co-circulate at high levels. While RSV activity seems to have levelled off, Tam said she expects it to remain elevated for weeks to come.

Kids' pain meds hitting pharmacy shelves: Duclos

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says much of the added surplus comes from higher personal and corporate income taxes, while sales taxes and natural gas royalties were also higher. Robinson says $2 billion of the added revenue has already been earmarked for cost-of-living measures announced since the summer.

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay
Cpl. Alex Berube says in a statement they have learned that the plane was transporting two passengers out of a logging camp back to Port Hardy. Coast guard helicopters and boats were sent to the search area but no survivors have been found.

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise
The province has yet to reach the point of scrapping operations, said Dix Thursday, as he faced Opposition calls for his resignation. Parents and the Opposition have decried lengthy waits at emergency rooms across B.C. for children suffering serious respiratory symptoms.

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise