Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan
Premier David Eby said on Sunday that legislation to allow unexplained wealth orders would be introduced next spring. Such orders were recommended in June in the final report of a commission of inquiry into money laundering in B.C. by retired judge Austin Cullen

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead
The legislation aims to increase housing supply with measures that will end several rental restrictions and have the potential to force local governments to meet housing growth targets.

B.C. Premier David Eby's housing bills move ahead

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase
A statement from Coquitlam RCMP says officers were called to an armed robbery at a car dealership in Port Coquitlam just before 4 p.m., Tuesday. Police say four suspects fled in a stolen vehicle and responding officers were involved in an exchange of gunfire before the stolen sedan crashed along Highway 1 in Coquitlam and the four fled.

Two at large after Coquitlam, B.C., robbery, chase

Stand alone ministry to tackle housing crisis, Premier Eby announces

Stand alone ministry to tackle housing crisis, Premier Eby announces
Premier Eby made the announcement on Tuesday, during a speech to about 1,400 attendees at the Housing Central Conference at the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel in Vancouver. The minister of housing will be named when Premier Eby announces his cabinet on Dec. 7, 2022.

Stand alone ministry to tackle housing crisis, Premier Eby announces

18 year old dies after being stabbed in the parking lot of Tamanawis Secondary School: Surrey RCMP

18 year old dies after being stabbed in the parking lot of Tamanawis Secondary School: Surrey RCMP
The 18-year-old victim was transported to hospital, however despite all attempts to revive the individual he succumbed to his injuries. Police located and arrested one possible suspect.   

18 year old dies after being stabbed in the parking lot of Tamanawis Secondary School: Surrey RCMP

B.C. Opposition demands audit of housing providers

B.C. Opposition demands audit of housing providers
Liberal Leader Kevin Falcon says Eby must launch independent reviews at BC Housing and Atira Women's Resources Society after leaked reports indicated mismanagement.

B.C. Opposition demands audit of housing providers