Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Prince Rupert, B.C., shooting suspect dies

Prince Rupert, B.C., shooting suspect dies
A statement from the Prince Rupert detachment says the 44-year-old man had been in critical condition following the attack on the unnamed woman at a local mall early Monday. The 52-year-old victim died before she could be taken to hospital.

Prince Rupert, B.C., shooting suspect dies

Seven B.C. commercial poultry flocks have bird flu

Seven B.C. commercial poultry flocks have bird flu
Six of the farms are in Abbotsford and one is in Chilliwack, in the Fraser Valley, the same area where more than 17 million birds were culled in 2004 when avian flu swept through numerous farms. The ministry says producers within a 10-kilometre radius have been notified and all infected farms have been placed under quarantine by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Seven B.C. commercial poultry flocks have bird flu

Indecent act near Burnsview Secondary School: Delta Police

Indecent act near Burnsview Secondary School: Delta Police
Via release, the suspect is described as a South Asian or dark-skinned male, 25-30 years old with a short beard, large nose, large lips, and approximately 5'8” to 6’ tall. He was wearing a black puffer jacket, red t-shirt, black jeans, black shoes, black toque with a brown bobble on top, and with Airpods in his ears.  

Indecent act near Burnsview Secondary School: Delta Police

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes
Premier David Eby, who was sworn in on Friday, says housing is one of the most critical issues that he will immediately address. The legislation includes provisions that allow the province to force municipal compliance, although the government says it doesn't expect that will be necessary for communities facing a housing crisis.

B.C. to bring in housing supply, rental changes

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting
Police say they were called to the mall Monday morning for a "serious police incident." Staff Sgt. Dave Uppal says that they know of the trauma this shooting will have on many people and supports are in place for those who may need help.

One dead, another hurt in B.C. mall shooting

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief
McCallum said in brief remarks outside the courthouse Monday that he was “pleased with the decision.” He thanked his lawyers for “their tremendous efforts,” his family for “understanding and supporting me,” and the media for their “sensitivity” covering the case. “And to the people of Surrey, I love you. I love all of you,” he said.  

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., not guilty of mischief