Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.
The BC Wildfire Service says the fire discovered Thursday is believed to be human-caused and is just over one hectare in size. Many parts of British Columbia have experienced drought conditions this fall, in stark contrast to the torrential rains that wreaked havoc on the province one year ago.

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit
Eby says people and small businesses in the province are feeling the squeeze of global inflation and his government is focused on helping residents most impacted by the rising costs.  The one-time cost-of-living credit will be applied automatically to residents' BC Hydro bills this fall. 

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe
While the prime minister did not offer further details, the statement followed the government’s decision in the summer to send two Royal Canadian Navy frigates to the Asia-Pacific region at the same time, as a sign of Canada’s increased engagement. 

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week
One million bottles of children's medication will have been distributed to hospitals, pharmacies and retailers after next week, health officials said during a media briefing. Health Canada said production of children's acetaminophen and ibuprofen is double what it was last year, but demand is still outstripping supply.

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier
Eby replaces New Democrat Premier John Horgan, who announced last June he was leaving office due to health concerns. The swearing-in ceremony will be conducted by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin, but not in the usual location of Government House in Victoria, and instead will be held at the Musqueam Community Centre.  

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier

One dead in B.C. chopper crash: TSB

One dead in B.C. chopper crash: TSB
The board says the Geotech Aviation commercial chopper was conducting survey operations near Kitsault, between Prince Rupert and Stewart, when it collided with terrain. It says military aircraft and search and rescue technicians found the fatally injured pilot, who was the sole occupant on board.

One dead in B.C. chopper crash: TSB