Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier
Union president Grand Chief Stewart Phillip says passage of the B.C. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act in 2019 would not have been possible without Horgan's leadership.

Indigenous leaders praise outgoing B.C. premier

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash
Aryan is described as a  South Asian youth male, 14 years old, 6 ft tall, weighing 135 lbs with black hair and black eyes.  He was last seen wearing a grey jacket and grey pants. 

Richmond RCMP need the public's help in locating missing youth Aryan Prakash

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims
The suspect was arrested shortly after noon near Hwy 1 on the Clearbook Rd exit in Abbotsford.  The two victims were transported by ambulance to a local area hospital. Both have non-life threatening injuries.

Richmond RCMP investigating stabbing involving two victims

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie
Jongwon Ham appeared virtually in court on Wednesday after a significant delay wearing a red shirt, a beard and his black hair reached past his shoulders. Ham was ordered remanded until Nov. 24 while he worked on getting a lawyer. The 37-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of RCMP Const. Shaelyn Yang.

Man in court on murder charge of B.C. Mountie

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife
The incident happened on October 27 at around 7:30 p.m., after security for Hotel Georgia asked the suspect, who was loitering in the breezeway of the hotel, to leave the area. The suspect pulled a knife from his jacket and approached the security guard.

Vancouver Police investigates after security guard threatened with knife

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death
RCMP say the human remains were discovered last month in Connaught Hill Park. Police say with the help of the BC Coroners Service, it was able to identify the remains as those of Donna Charlie, who was killed in 1990.

B.C. woman's remains found 32 years after death