Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada won't back call to 'phase down' oil, gas

Canada won't back call to 'phase down' oil, gas
The agreement from the UN conference in Scotland last year called for countries to move faster to get rid of coal-fired electricity plants that are not abated with technology to capture emissions. India is pushing to add oil and gas to that paragraph in this year's final pact.

Canada won't back call to 'phase down' oil, gas

Fatal flight with fugitives was overweight: TSB

Fatal flight with fugitives was overweight: TSB
Police have said pilot Abhinav Handa, Hankun Hong, Gene Lahrkamp and Duncan Bailey died in the crash near Sioux Lookout after departing from Dryden, Ont. British Columbia's anti-gang unit has said Lahrkamp was wanted in Thailand for murdering another man with links to B.C. gangs.

Fatal flight with fugitives was overweight: TSB

Canada aims for 'respectful' relations with China

Canada aims for 'respectful' relations with China
"China today is not the China of the past," Ng told reporters in Bangkok where she is attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum meetings alongside Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Canada aims for 'respectful' relations with China

Masks strongly encouraged on planes: Minister

Masks strongly encouraged on planes: Minister
Omar Alghabra says that he participated in a briefing from chief public health officer Theresa Tam this morning. He says the government will continue to follow advice from doctors and will maintain the recommendation for now. 

Masks strongly encouraged on planes: Minister

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix
David Eby, who will be sworn in on Friday as B.C.'s 37th premier, said his government will take charge of restoring the low-income area, which is plagued by crime, addiction, homelessness and mental health trouble.  

New B.C. premier pledges Downtown Eastside fix

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond
The driver of the white GMC Savana van involved in the collision remained at the scene and was cooperative with police.  The injured female pedestrian, a 57-year old Chinese national, received significant, life threatening injuries and remains in hospital at this time.  

Female pedestrian struck after serious collision in Richmond