Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point
Two men with guns entered the restaurant, near Commercial Drive and Kitchener Street, at the height of Sunday brunch. They pointed the weapons at staff and patrons, ordering the victims to hand over cellular phones and other valuables, then fled in a vehicle.

VPD investigates after East Van diners robbed at gun-point

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend
The 34-year-old victim was attempting to use a bank machine near Broadway and Commercial around 10 p.m. Saturday when she was approached by a stranger who asked for a cigarette. The victim refused, and the man allegedly shoved her against a wall and demanded money.

Woman robbed while trying to withdraw money from an East Van ATM over the weekend

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis
His proposed plan would fast-track affordable housing by speeding approvals, use government land for some projects, make all secondary suites across the province legal and allow homebuilders to replace a single-family house with up to three units on the same lot.  

B.C. Premier Eby to share plans for housing crisis

Help identify suspect in racist graffiti: Surrey RCMP

Help identify suspect in racist graffiti: Surrey RCMP
Frontline officers located similar graffiti on a nearby elementary school while in the area investigating. As well in September 2022, there was a similar incident of graffiti where the same fence and school were vandalized.

Help identify suspect in racist graffiti: Surrey RCMP

Doctors urge families to get influenza vaccine

Doctors urge families to get influenza vaccine
The Canadian Paediatric Society said the advice was even more urgent for families with young kids, as influenza is spreading rapidly, along with surges of COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus.

Doctors urge families to get influenza vaccine

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds
The funding is part of an extra $2 billion allocated in this year’s federal budget to renew and expand the Oceans Protection Plan over nine years. Among the projects are plans to set up a national system for all marine pollution incidents, which includes preparing for releases of hazardous or noxious substances from ships.

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds