Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bird flu fighters face unprecedented challenge

Bird flu fighters face unprecedented challenge
By some measures, the ongoing outbreaks of avian flu in British Columbia pale when compared to the devastating eruption of the disease in 2004 that prompted a cull of 17 million birds. But the enemy that farmers and scientists now face represents an unprecedented challenge, experts say.  

Bird flu fighters face unprecedented challenge

Surrey, B.C., to keep RCMP as sole police force

Surrey, B.C., to keep RCMP as sole police force
Council voted 5-4 in favour of keeping the federal force, as Mayor Brenda Locke and the four councillors elected under her Surrey Connect banner made good on an election promise to end the transition to the Surrey Police Service.  

Surrey, B.C., to keep RCMP as sole police force

New economic diversification program builds more resilient rural communities

New economic diversification program builds more resilient rural communities
The Government of B.C. is investing as much as $33 million in 2022-23 to create the Rural Economic Diversification and Infrastructure Program (REDIP), which will support projects that promote economic diversification, resilience, clean-growth opportunities and infrastructure development.

New economic diversification program builds more resilient rural communities

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?
The cash is believed to have been dropped sometime in early September 2022. Coquitlam RCMP is also encouraging the public to make police reports if they lose a large sum of cash.

Did you lose a large sum of cash at IKEA in Coquitlam?

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver, shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver,  shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife
The senior was headed to catch a bus around 5:30 p.m. when a stranger pushed her down, threatened her with a knife, and demanded money. The victim began to scream and the suspect fled without getting any cash.

74-year-old woman attacked in East Vancouver, shoved to the ground and threatened with a knife

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking
Dr. Kieran Moore's advice came as pediatrics hospitals have been overwhelmed in recent weeks by a massive influx of very sick patients. COVID-19 is still circulating, but the larger threats to young children at the moment are influenza and respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, he said, noting that capacity in children's hospitals is at 100 per cent.

Ontario's top doctor 'strongly' recommends masking