Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds
The agency, which had previously announced it was importing acetaminophen and ibuprofen to be distributed to hospitals, said the new retail supply should help families struggling to treat their sick children.

More imported kids' meds heading to stores: feds

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023
A cap on greenhouse gas emissions from Canada's oil and gas sector will be ready by the end of next year, Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault said Monday. In an interview from Egypt where he is attending the 27th instalment of the United Nations climate talks, Guilbeault said the government is developing the regulations in "record time."

Emissions cap on oil and gas likely by end of 2023

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape
Zachary Armitage and James Lee Busch are charged with killing 60-year-old Martin Payne in July 2019, a day after the pair walked away from William Head Institution, located about eight kilometres from the victim's home in Metchosin.  

Two deny murdering man after B.C. prison escape

Permanent Indian residents can now be part of Canadian military

Permanent Indian residents can now be part of Canadian military
As of 2021, there were more than eight million immigrants with permanent residence living in Canada - roughly 21.5 per cent of the total Canadian population. In the same year, nearly 100,000 Indians became permanent residents of Canada as the country admitted a record 405,000 new immigrants in its history.

Permanent Indian residents can now be part of Canadian military

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response
With the final federal public-health restrictions having been lifted in September, NDP health critic Don Davies said it's about time for the government to look back at whether appropriate actions were taken to manage the crisis. 

NDP calls for review of federal COVID-19 response

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom
The record rains brought by an atmospheric river last November swamped southwest B.C., inundated farmland, washed out major highways and railways and forced thousands to flee. Five people died in what the Insurance Bureau of Canada ranks as B.C.'s most costly weather event, with insured losses of $675 million.  

B.C. hails flood recovery but more disasters loom