Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police
It presents two options, with the first stopping further spending on the SPS while a plan is submitted to the province for approval to end the integration and "ramp down" the municipal police agency.

Surrey councillors mull future of municipal police

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver
The victim was walking in the south lane of East 2nd Avenue from Commercial Drive on November 1 at around 7:15 a.m. when she was hit by the driver of a Cadillac Escalade. She was taken to hospital where she died from her injuries.

86 year old female pedestrian dies of her injuries after a collision in East Vancouver

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win
“I was in the same store where I bought the ticket,” recalled Raj, who shared a Maxmillions prize from the draw with another winner in Ontario.  “I checked a few tickets and they were small wins, then I checked the winning ticket and I was sweating.”

Vancouver resident Rajan Raj couldn’t hold back tears after his $500K Lotto Max win

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister
Farnworth says the provincial government has dedicated $1.6 million to the Sumas dike project, as he gave an update on recovery progress ahead of the one-year anniversary of what he called "one of the most devastating weather events in the history of our province."

Repair of B.C. dike to finish this month: minister

Kids' pain meds coming but supply fragile: critics

Kids' pain meds coming but supply fragile: critics
Health Canada pegged the problem to “unprecedented demand since the summer,” with stock “limited” at stores and hospitals in various parts of the country. Observers point to a complex web of factors driving demand, limiting supply and complicating any attempt at a quick fix.

Kids' pain meds coming but supply fragile: critics

94% of Surrey police vow not to join RCMP: union

94% of Surrey police vow not to join RCMP: union
A statement from the Surrey Police Union says 94 per cent of its members have signed a pledge to refuse to apply to, or join, the Mounties, if newly elected Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke makes good on a campaign promise to cancel the city's switch from the national police force to a municipal one.

94% of Surrey police vow not to join RCMP: union