Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Effect of rate hikes will be 'powerful:' Poloz

Effect of rate hikes will be 'powerful:' Poloz
The full effects of interest rate hikes have yet to be felt — and will be "even more powerful" than many anticipate, former Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz says. Speaking at a conference in Ottawa hosted by Western University's Ivey Business School, the former governor warned today’s economy is more sensitive to interest rates than it was 10 years ago.

Effect of rate hikes will be 'powerful:' Poloz

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients
Christy Hay, the hospital's executive director of clinical operations, says the department is mostly seeing viral illnesses including COVID-19 and an increasing number of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus cases, or RSV.

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting
One of those victims died at the scene and the statement says the second person died a short time later in hospital. The third victim was found nearby and is being treated in hospital for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey
Just after noon on Tuesday, a teenager died after being stabbed at Tamanawis Secondary School. The victim is being identified as 18-year old Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey. A 17-year old has been identified was located and taken into custody.

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians
The victim and a friend were on 148 Street near the intersection of 104 Avenue and 148 Street when a small, white, 4-door hatchback (with a sunroof) drove slowly past them and an occupant of the vehicle fired a firework directly at the two pedestrians. The firework hit the victim’s forehead and minor injuries were sustained.

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot
Lead author Dr. Naveed Janjua, an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control, said the findings related to second doses for both vaccines show men between the ages of 18 and 29 are most at risk of myocarditis if they received Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine.

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot