Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trend shows 15K daily COVID-19 cases by October

Trend shows 15K daily COVID-19 cases by October
The number of cases in Canada each day grew from about 700 in early August, to almost 3,500 now. The vast majority of cases are among unvaccinated individuals, with Tam saying unvaccinated people are 12 times more likely to be infected and 36 times more likely to be hospitalized if they get infected.

Trend shows 15K daily COVID-19 cases by October

Alberta offers $100 to get fully vaccinated

Alberta offers $100 to get fully vaccinated
Premier Jason Kenney, two months after declaring victory over COVID-19, is now offering $100 to Albertans who aren't fully vaccinated to curb nation-leading cases of the illness that have again pushed the province's hospitals to the brink.

Alberta offers $100 to get fully vaccinated

Destructive B.C. wildfire being held

Destructive B.C. wildfire being held
The emergency operations centre for the central Okanagan has said at least 78 properties west of Okanagan Lake sustained significant damage, in addition to properties destroyed in Monte Lake and Westwold on the fire's opposite flank.

Destructive B.C. wildfire being held

Richmond RCMP arrest robbery suspect who allegedly used a knife to threaten a convenience store clerk.

Richmond RCMP arrest robbery suspect who allegedly used a knife to threaten a convenience store clerk.
At approximately 11:00 pm on August 22, 2021 Richmond RCMP attended the 9000 block of Williams Rd for a robbery in progress. According to the victim, a man entered the store then allegedly produced a knife and demanded money. 

Richmond RCMP arrest robbery suspect who allegedly used a knife to threaten a convenience store clerk.

RCMP investigate death of child in B.C.

RCMP investigate death of child in B.C.
RCMP are investigating the death of a child who sustained serious injuries at a campground in southeast British Columbia earlier this week. They say officers responded along with the provincial ambulance service on Monday to a report of an unresponsive child at a campground east of Creston.    

RCMP investigate death of child in B.C.

671 COVID19 cases for Friday

671 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 5,872 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 160,268 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 215 individuals are in hospital and 118 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

671 COVID19 cases for Friday