Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

COVID-19 passport good first step: B.C. doctors

COVID-19 passport good first step: B.C. doctors
Dr. Matthew Chow with the Doctors of B.C. says his group would also like to see mandated vaccines for all health-care workers, similar to what is being done with long-term care staff.

COVID-19 passport good first step: B.C. doctors

814 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

814 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 5,550 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 163,793 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 261 individuals are in hospital and 129 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

814 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Leaders face two pivotal debates, French tonight

Leaders face two pivotal debates, French tonight
With less than two weeks to go, millions of voters are expected to tune in for Wednesday's two-hour French debate and Thursday's English debate. The topics for that debate are affordability, climate, COVID-19 recovery, leadership and accountability and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples.

Leaders face two pivotal debates, French tonight

Vancouver Police help rescue paddleboarders stranded in First Narrows

Vancouver Police help rescue paddleboarders stranded in First Narrows
The Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue also came to help. Working together, the four agencies rescued the 17 stranded paddleboarders and ferried them back to shore. 13 others managed to make it across the narrows to the North Shore.

Vancouver Police help rescue paddleboarders stranded in First Narrows

2425 COVID19 cases over 4 days

2425 COVID19 cases over 4 days
85.1% (3,943,729) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 77.6% (3,594,929) received their second dose.

2425 COVID19 cases over 4 days

B.C. residents can now get vaccine card

B.C. residents can now get vaccine card
Dr. Bonnie Henry says residents will need to provide their personal health numbers, dates of birth and vaccination dates for their first and second doses to securely download their vaccine cards.

B.C. residents can now get vaccine card