Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead
Police in Delta say a man missing since Monday morning in the Metro Vancouver community has been found dead. Police say the man had left his home wearing nothing but underwear and suffered from a significant injury.

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order
In an application dated Dec. 3, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it is seeking to quash MacKinnon's direction on Nov. 12 to the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations in B.C. after a lockout imposed by employers.

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark
Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day. On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to meet with provincial and territorial premiers Wednesday afternoon to talk Canada-U.S. relations. The premiers will virtually discuss a plan to tackle the threat of 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports by incoming U.S. president Donald Trump.

Trudeau set to speak with premiers to tackle Trump's tariff plan

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward
The Bank of Canada lowered its key interest rate by half a percentage point on Wednesday but signalled a slower pace of rate cuts moving forward. The decision marked the fifth consecutive reduction since June and brings the central bank’s key rate down to 3.25 per cent.

BoC delivers jumbo interest rate cut, signals slower pace of cuts moving forward

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025
A statement from the city says the overall increase of 3.9 per cent is one of the lowest across the region following a 7.5 per cent increase for 2024. Mayor Ken Sim had earlier set a cap of 5.5 per cent for the 2025 increase.

Increase in Vancouver property tax in 2025