Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals
With the Canada Post strike nearing four weeks, the postal service says it doesn't see an end in sight. On Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers sent over its latest list of proposals, which include wage gains and job protections. 

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state
Trump said in a taunting post to Truth Social early Tuesday it was a "pleasure to have dinner" with Trudeau at his Mar-a-Lago estate and that he looks forward to seeing the "governor again soon" to talk tariffs and trade, the "results of which will be truly spectacular for all."

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is not committing to meeting the $40.1-billion deficit target she set for the government last year.  Freeland said Tuesday she expects the fall economic statement, which she will present on Dec. 16, will show a declining debt-to-GDP ratio.

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan did not attend the Taylor Swift concert in Vancouver Saturday, despite earlier defending his decision to accept the tickets. Global News first reported that Sajjan would be attending the concert with his daughter, on the taxpayer's dime as a guest of a provincial Crown corporation that owns BC Place. 

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission
Authorities in New York state say the search for a 22-year-old Quebec hiker who went missing in the Adirondacks more than a week ago is now likely a recovery mission. The New York State Forest Rangers say heavy snow and cold temperatures have made the search "essentially impossible," and future efforts will depend on the weather. 

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear
A statement from the service says 1,925 people have died in overdoses this year, down nine per cent from the first 10 months of 2023.  The 155 people who died from drug poisoning in October is also a drop from the 183 people who died in September.

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear