Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a crash between an SUV and a snowplow dump truck has killed an eight-year-old boy. A statement from the RCMP's highway patrol division says the collision happened on Highway 3 near Castlegar, B.C., on Saturday around 8 a.m., when road conditions were "cold and icy with freezing rain."

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate at Mission Institute has died while in custody. It says 33-year-old Tyler Damien Van Basten had been serving a nearly four-year sentence that began in January. 

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.
A statement from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service says it worked with the Department of Fisheries and Environment and Climate Change Canada to investigate possible contraventions of the act. 

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader
Sturko says in an interview she's not "challenging" Rustad, but it's "disappointing" he didn't tell her he was going to publicly post on social media that he met Comfort Sakoma-Fadugba, and Sturko should too.

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake
Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime. Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending
Members of Parliament are set to vote on a government request for billions of dollars in funding as the clock ticks down on a deadline. Last month, the Liberals asked Parliament to approve $21.6 billion in spending through the supplementary estimates.

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending