Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure
The CEO of the B.C. Restaurant and Food Services Association, Ian Tostenson, said the shows that ended Sunday had an effect that went far beyond other concert or sporting events in the city.

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man
The 21-year-old male, Tajas, is described as approximately 5’9” tall and 120 lbs. He has a "significant injury," and he left a home on foot at about 3:40 this morning wearing nothing but underwear.

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses
R-C-M-P say fraud cases in Richmond in the past year has resulted in more than 33-million-dollars in losses, and residents need to stay vigilant. Mounties say Richmond residents reported 990 cases of fraud from January to December, up slightly from 945 cases in 2023.

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be
Speaking at an event put on by the Halifax Chamber of Commerce, Trudeau said that's because Trump's team is coming in with a much clearer set of ideas of what they want to do right away than after his first election win in 2016.

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals
As the Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 workers neared the end of its 25th day, the postal service warned that a speedy resolution is unlikely. In a statement Monday, Canada Post said the latest proposals from the union widen the gap between the two parties, claiming the union has in some cases increased its demands. 

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year
Premier David Eby says BC Hydro, a Crown utility, has selected the projects following a strong response to its call for new renewable power-generation operations.

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year