Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau
Thousands of buildings were reported collapsed in a wide area extending from Syria’s cities of Aleppo and Hama to Turkey’s Diyarbakir, more than 330 kilometres to the northeast. Some 18,000 people were killed in similarly powerful earthquakes that hit northwest Turkey in 1999.

Canada stands ready for earthquake help: Trudeau

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges
Raj Grewal's lawyer argues that prosecutors have not presented enough evidence to find him guilty of the two breach of trust charges, and the Crown has failed to establish essential elements required for such a finding.

Former Liberal MP seeks dismissal of charges

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature
Premier David Eby says economists are predicating a "global slowdown and potentially recession" and his government is focused on keeping the economy strong by building trade relationships and supporting businesses.

Throne speech starts off B.C. legislature

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better
Association chief economist Brendon Ogmundson blames expected sluggish sales this year on a slowing economy and ongoing, elevated mortgage rates. The forecast predicts residential sales in B-C will skid 7.1 per cent this year before surging nearly 24 per cent in 2024.    

Gloomy 2023 B.C. housing forecast, but 2024 better

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack
The survivor has life-threatening injuries, but police say the public is not believed to be at risk. IHIT is trying to determine if the tripped alarm and triggered sprinklers could be linked to the case.

Woman dead, man critical in Surrey, B.C., attack

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male
IHIT investigators have identified the victim as a 17-year old man, who lived in the complex in which the shooting took place. At approximately 9:15 a.m. a White Nissan Rogue was reported to have been set on fire in the area of 173 Street and 101 Avenue in Surrey.   

IHIT identify Burnaby shooting victim as a 17 year old male