Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge
The civil liberties association statement says although the independent review in 2019 found "reasonable grounds" to believe two officers may have committed offences related to use of force, and three others may have obstructed justice, the Crown was not handed a final report until 2020, and charge approval took nearly three more years.

Family reacts as Mounties face Manslaughter charge

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers
Sgt. Jon Eusebio Cruz, and constables Arthur Dalman and Clarence MacDonald are accused of attempting to obstruct justice. RCMP said at the time of the arrest that 35-year-old Arthur Dale Culver appeared to have trouble breathing before he died in while in police custody.

Manslaughter charge against two B.C. RCMP officers

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect
Adrian Dix says that number reflects doctors who signed up in advance or within hours of its launch, and he expects it to grow "dramatically." He says the model, developed by the province and Doctors of BC, aims to attract doctors to family practice and keep them there by addressing challenges that arise in the existing fee-for-service system.

B.C. family doctor payment model takes effect

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time
The memorial honours 376 Indians, including Sikhs, Muslims and Hindus, who sailed to Canada from India in 1914, but were turned away by the country, which left them stuck on the ship for two months with dire conditions.

Komagata Maru memorial in Canada vandalised for third time

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry
The column, co-written with former Canadian Jewish Congress CEO Bernie Farber, cited polling data to say that "a majority of Quebecers" who supported Bill 21 also held anti-Muslim views. Farber and Elghawaby, a journalist and human-rights activist, were board members with the Canadian Anti-Hate Network at the time.

Canada's new anti-Islamophobia rep says sorry

Alberta's former top doctor hired by B.C.

Alberta's former top doctor hired by B.C.
A statement from the Ministry of Health says Dr. Andrew Larder, who previously served as a medical health officer at both Fraser and Interior Health, joins Hinshaw, and will also be on temporary assignment over the next several months.

Alberta's former top doctor hired by B.C.