Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man randomly attacked by 3 men in Downtown Vancouver, VPD say suspects appear to be South Asian

Man randomly attacked by 3 men in Downtown Vancouver, VPD say suspects appear to be South Asian
Security footage shows one man push the victim down. Another man helps the victim up and they all walk towards a lane near Granville and Smithe streets. While in the lane, the victim was assaulted and had his wallet taken. The three suspects appear to be South Asian and in their early 20s.

Man randomly attacked by 3 men in Downtown Vancouver, VPD say suspects appear to be South Asian

More blood needed as COVID-19 restrictions lift

More blood needed as COVID-19 restrictions lift
The need for blood products tailed off dramatically 16 months ago as the pandemic brought travel to a near standstill and all but the most critical surgeries were cancelled.

More blood needed as COVID-19 restrictions lift

Govt proposes stricter rules for online platforms

Govt proposes stricter rules for online platforms
Under the proposed rules, a digital safety commissioner would help enforce a new regime that requires social media companies to weed out child pornography, terrorist content, hate speech and other harmful posts.

Govt proposes stricter rules for online platforms

Powerful Alaska earthquake felt in B.C.

Powerful Alaska earthquake felt in B.C.
The U.S. Geological Survey says an 8.2 magnitude quake hit off the Alaska Peninsula roughly 800 kilometres southwest of Anchorage at about 9:15 p.m. Pacific time.

Powerful Alaska earthquake felt in B.C.

Alberta to end isolation rules as COVID cases rise

Alberta to end isolation rules as COVID cases rise
Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, announced a two-phased approach Wednesday to eliminate the few remaining public health orders in the province.

Alberta to end isolation rules as COVID cases rise

COVID-19 restrictions back in one B.C. region

COVID-19 restrictions back in one B.C. region
Dr. Sue Pollock, the chief medical health officer for Interior Health, says starting at midnight, masks must be worn in all indoor public places in central Okanagan communities including Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and West Bank First Nations lands.

COVID-19 restrictions back in one B.C. region