Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Health agency wants five years to answer request

Health agency wants five years to answer request
The applicant recently asked the Public Health Agency of Canada for emails, texts and messages that president Iain Stewart had sent or received from June 14 to 21.

Health agency wants five years to answer request

Grits eye fall for moves on free tampons at work

Grits eye fall for moves on free tampons at work
The March briefing note to Filomena Tassi estimated the annual employer costs would likely be $1.17 million to provide free tampons and pads, based on an annual, per-employee cost of almost $60 and assuming a 50-per-cent take-up rate.

Grits eye fall for moves on free tampons at work

Heat wave, drought leave us vulnerable: farmers

Heat wave, drought leave us vulnerable: farmers
When an unprecedented heat wave "cooked" the cherries growing at his family's farm in Oliver, B.C., Pravin Dhaliwal tried to see past the financial loss to the passion that spurred him to follow in the footsteps of his father and grandfather.

Heat wave, drought leave us vulnerable: farmers

U.K. excludes Canadian travellers in eased rules

U.K. excludes Canadian travellers in eased rules
The U.K. announced today that fully vaccinated travellers in the U.S. or Europe will not have to quarantine on arrival to the U.K. The changes are set to go in place at 4 a.m. on August 2.

U.K. excludes Canadian travellers in eased rules

More out-of-province wildfire crews head to B.C.

More out-of-province wildfire crews head to B.C.
A crew of 34 specialists from Australia is set to bolster the 208 out-of-province personnel working alongside more than 3,000 firefighters and others on B.C.'s fire lines, he said.

More out-of-province wildfire crews head to B.C.

RCMP probe 'suspicious' wildfires in B.C. Interior

RCMP probe 'suspicious' wildfires in B.C. Interior
They say officers from Salmo responded with the local fire department to as many as four brush fires northwest of the intersection of Highways 6 and 3 on Saturday.

RCMP probe 'suspicious' wildfires in B.C. Interior