Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

150 workers at mink farm in Fraser Valley under quarantine, after more mink test positive

150 workers at mink farm in Fraser Valley under quarantine, after more mink test positive
It says the mink that tested positive were identified through a provincial surveillance project that aims to assess the potential for virus transmission to "free-ranging" animals.

150 workers at mink farm in Fraser Valley under quarantine, after more mink test positive

Charges laid related to bitcoin ATM robbery

Charges laid related to bitcoin ATM robbery
Bryce Telford of no fixed address is facing ten charges including robbery and theft, related to four separate incidents.

Charges laid related to bitcoin ATM robbery

DARPAN 10 with Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum

DARPAN 10 with Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum
We have been waiting a long time for the expansion of the SkyTrain in Surrey. In fact, it has been 27 years since the last new track was put down in this city. 

DARPAN 10 with Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum

Experts warn of potential rise in RSV this summer

Experts warn of potential rise in RSV this summer
Pediatricians are warning of a potential resurgence of a certain respiratory virus in kids that could appear this summer following an abnormally quiet 2020 flu season.

Experts warn of potential rise in RSV this summer

Pandemic changed LTC views, survey finds

Pandemic changed LTC views, survey finds
The survey finds that just 18 per cent of respondents say their views haven't changed since COVID-19 hit, but about half of those surveyed say they now "dread" the thought of themselves or their loved ones being in long-term care.

Pandemic changed LTC views, survey finds

Canada to receive 5M doses of vaccine this week

Canada to receive 5M doses of vaccine this week
The federal government expects to receive enough doses of COVID-19 vaccine this week to fully inoculate all eligible Canadians. Ottawa is anticipating shipments of roughly five million doses of COVID-19 vaccine this week.

Canada to receive 5M doses of vaccine this week