Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Nov, 2021 09:57 AM
  • Give CAF misconduct cases to civilians: Arbour

OTTAWA - All cases involving allegations of criminal sexual misconduct in the military should be immediately transferred to civilian authorities, retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour told the federal Liberal government last month.

“All sexual assaults and other criminal offences of a sexual nature under the Criminal Code, including historical sexual offences, alleged to have been perpetrated by a CAF member, past or present, should be referred to civilian authorities,” Arbour wrote in the Oct. 20 letter to Harjit Sajjan, who was defence minister at the time.

Her recommendation came six months after the Liberal government tapped Arbour to come up with ways to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The call for action follows months of allegations of sexual misconduct involving some of the military’s most senior officers, which have forced an unprecedented reckoning in how such cases are handled.

Sajjan and the Liberal government have also faced criticism for not doing more. Sajjan was replaced as defence minister last week by Anita Anand. She has promised to make dealing with the issue one of her top priorities.

Shortly after The Canadian Press first reported on Arbour's letter Thursday, Anand posted on Twitter that she had accepted “in full Madame Arbour’s recommendations to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct cases to the civilian system.

“The (Canadian Armed Forces) are working with federal, provincial and territorial partners to implement these interim recommendations,” she added.

Arbour is the second retired Supreme Court justice to have called for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities in recent months.

Following a comprehensive review of the military justice system, Morris Fish said in June that the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults should be temporarily removed from the military’s hands until a declaration of victims’ rights is implemented.

The government and military said at that time that they had accepted Fish’s recommendations in principle, but that further study would be needed.

In her letter, Arbour wrote that she has heard widespread doubts about the independence and competence of military police, which has spawned serious mistrust in the military justice system, especially when it comes to investigations.

MORE National ARTICLES

Float plane flips over on take off in Tofino, B.C.

Float plane flips over on take off in Tofino, B.C.
Board spokesperson Alexandre Fournier says the float-equipped Cessna A185F "nosed over in shallow water" during take off from the harbour.

Float plane flips over on take off in Tofino, B.C.

150 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

150 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
80.7% (3,742,081) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 62.3% (2,887,730) have received their second dose.    

150 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Leaving a Legacy: Youth Raising Funds for Senior Care Facility

Leaving a Legacy: Youth Raising Funds for Senior Care Facility
 As the hustle and bustle of life commitments continues to take over the working population, creating senior care facilities is becoming a pressing necessity.

Leaving a Legacy: Youth Raising Funds for Senior Care Facility

One-time payments to seniors over 75 likely to also go to the dead, documents say

One-time payments to seniors over 75 likely to also go to the dead, documents say
It's not unheard of for federal benefits to flow to a person after their death, often as a result of lags in reporting to federal authorities from provinces and territories that are responsible for collecting information about a person's death.

One-time payments to seniors over 75 likely to also go to the dead, documents say

Cdn border workers vote in favour of strike: union

Cdn border workers vote in favour of strike: union
The Public Service Alliance of Canada and its Customs and Immigration Union announced Tuesday its members may strike as soon as Aug. 6, three days before fully vaccinated U.S. citizens will be able to visit Canada without having to quarantine for two weeks.

Cdn border workers vote in favour of strike: union

B.C. kicks off COVID campaign to boost vaccination

B.C. kicks off COVID campaign to boost vaccination
A campaign on Aug. 4 called Walk-in Wednesday will make 20,000 doses available at clinics before a push later in the month and in September to target young people returning to school.

B.C. kicks off COVID campaign to boost vaccination