Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Rising Number Of Canadians Cutting The Cord On Traditional TV, Report Says

    Rising Number Of Canadians Cutting The Cord On Traditional TV, Report Says
    TORONTO — A new report says the number of Canadians cutting the cord on their TV services is expected to increase this year.

    Rising Number Of Canadians Cutting The Cord On Traditional TV, Report Says

    Fake Car Accident Allowed Undercover Cops To Meet Murder Suspect: Trial

    Fake Car Accident Allowed Undercover Cops To Meet Murder Suspect: Trial
    CALGARY — Undercover officers investigating a man accused of killing his wife and burying her body in the basement of their home used a staged car accident to get his attention.

    Fake Car Accident Allowed Undercover Cops To Meet Murder Suspect: Trial

    Jobs, Education Are Feature Issues On British Columbia Campaign Trail

    Jobs, Education Are Feature Issues On British Columbia Campaign Trail
      The Liberals' Michael de Jong, the finance minister in Clark's government, is set to offer a "detailed update" on the costing of the NDP platform.

    Jobs, Education Are Feature Issues On British Columbia Campaign Trail

    73-Year-Old Lauren Hutton Stars In Calvin Klein Underwear Ad

    73-Year-Old Lauren Hutton Stars In Calvin Klein Underwear Ad
    NEW YORK — Calvin Klein has enlisted 73-year-old model and actress Lauren Hutton to star in its latest underwear campaign.

    73-Year-Old Lauren Hutton Stars In Calvin Klein Underwear Ad

    Critics Urge Toronto Cops To Axe 'Carding;' Cite Analysis That Practice Is Harmful

    Critics Urge Toronto Cops To Axe 'Carding;' Cite Analysis That Practice Is Harmful
    Toronto's police services board is being urged to implement an outright ban on carding — random police checks of people on the street — in light of a report that concludes the practice does far more harm than good.

    Critics Urge Toronto Cops To Axe 'Carding;' Cite Analysis That Practice Is Harmful

    Decades-Old Sikh Massacre Looms Over Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's India Trip

    Decades-Old Sikh Massacre Looms Over Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's India Trip
    Sajjan is on a bit of a homecoming to the Asian country, where he was born and lived until coming to Canada with his family when he was five years old.

    Decades-Old Sikh Massacre Looms Over Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's India Trip