Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in
The Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P is asking the driver of a 2000s white Toyota hatchback to turn themselves in after being involved in a hit and run last month.  Police say the vehicle hit a pedestrian on January 26th in Maple Ridge.  

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest
British Columbia's housing minster says the province needs to shift away from accommodating vulnerable people in privately owned rooming hotels — but it won't be fast or cheap. Ravi Kahlon's remarks come after the jury in a coroner's inquest into the deadly 2022 Winters Hotel fire in Vancouver made more than two dozen safety recommendations on Monday.  

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver
The City of Vancouver has approved 2.64-million-dollars in grants in support of street-cleaning programs this year. The grants support programs that supplement street-cleaning work completed by City crews and have been active for 24 years.

Street cleaning grants for Vancouver

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse
Premier David Eby says the government is not currently considering the relocation of a provincial courthouse in downtown Vancouver, where the president of the British Columbia Crown Counsel Association says safety concerns are on the rise. A statement from Adam Dalrymple says a recent attack on a prosecutor near the courthouse at 222 Main St. underscores the need for a "serious discussion" about whether it should be moved away from the Downtown Eastside.

B.C. Crown counsel group raises safety concerns, Eby says no move for courthouse

Police apprehend foreign nationals who crossed into Canada on foot from United States

Police apprehend foreign nationals who crossed into Canada on foot from United States
A Calgary man has been arrested for human smuggling after police allege he picked up foreign nationals who crossed on foot into Manitoba from the United States last month. Mounties in Manitoba say they received information from the United States Border Patrol that a group was walking northbound along a rail line toward the Canadian border near the town of Emerson. 

Police apprehend foreign nationals who crossed into Canada on foot from United States

Delta man faces arson charges

Delta man faces arson charges
A man is facing arson charges after allegedly setting fire to the same location in Delta two days in a row. Delta police say one of the incidents happened on February 1st, when an officer saw a fire in the disposal shed of a local restaurant.

Delta man faces arson charges