Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power
A cryptocurrency mining company has lost a bid to force BC Hydro to provide the vast amounts of power needed for its operations, upholding the provincial government's right to pause power connections for new crypto miners. Conifex Timber Inc., a forestry company that branched out into cryptocurrency mining, had gone to the B.C. Supreme Court to have the policy declared invalid.

Crypto mining company loses bid to force BC Hydro to provide power

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek
The City of Calgary says it has received notice of a recall petition against Mayor Jyoti Gondek, but it adds that the petition would need more than a half-million names in the next 60 days to remove her from office. Gondek has faced criticism for everything from property tax increases to a new NHL arena for the Flames to her decision late last year not to attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah.

City of Calgary receives notice of petition to recall Mayor Jyoti Gondek

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside
One person was left with burns on their hands after a vehicle fire in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. Officials say there was heavy fire coming from the vehicle when crews arrived just before 10 a-m at Powell Street and Gore Avenue.

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week
Passenger levels at Vancouver International Airport are expected to be almost completely recovered to pre-pandemic levels over the next week. Y-V-R officials say the airport is expecting an average of 60-thousand-177 passengers per day this week, with a total reaching 421-thousand.

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors
A North Vancouver man has pleaded guilty to one count of theft after an investigation found he stole more than one-million-dollars from nine investors. A statement from B-C Securities Commission says the 55-year-old man was arrested in October 2022 and remains on bail, entering the guilty plea last week with sentencing scheduled for early May.

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George
Cameron Stolz is the new owner of the 108-year-old Prince George Citizen after buying the paper from Glacier Media. Stolz, a businessman who owns a toy and comics store, said he entered talks to buy the weekly newspaper last November after outlets in Fort St. John and Dawson Creek closed, followed soon after by the newspaper in Kamloops.

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George