Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson is stepping down over her remarks that modern Israel was founded on "a crappy piece of land," after her repeated apologies failed to quell the outcry from pro-Palestinian groups and others. Premier David Eby said Robinson's "belittling" remarks were incompatible with her remaining in cabinet, although she will stay in the NDP caucus.

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital
On Friday, just after 1:30pm, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots fired in the 8400 block of 120 Street.  Frontline officers attended the scene and located a man who appeared to be suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer
Researchers say a deadly disease starts out slow but has the potential to devastate British Columbia's deer population over time, after the discovery of the first cases in the province. The concerns come after the B.C. government confirmed two cases of chronic wasting disease found in animals south of Cranbrook in the Kootenay region.

First cases of fatal chronic wasting disease found in B.C. deer

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl did not bring a gun into a Vancouver courtroom eight weeks ago, on the day Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Brock Martland, who represents the father, said it's an "unfounded proposition" that Ali's lawyers have repeated several times, aiming to exclude the man from post-trial proceedings on safety grounds.

Lawyer for father of murdered B.C. girl denies client brought gun to Ali verdict

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire
A coroner's inquest jury looking into the Winters Hotel fire that killed two people in Vancouver two years ago was stood down Friday to deliberate potential recommendations to avoid similar deaths. For two weeks the inquest heard evidence about the fire that killed residents Mary Ann Garlow and Dennis Guay, including testimony that the sprinkler system wasn't operating because of a smaller fire three days earlier.

B.C. coroner's inquest jury begins deliberations about deadly Winters Hotel fire

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson has apologized for saying Israel was founded on a "crappy piece of land," remarks that have angered pro-Palestinian groups and others and triggered calls for her resignation. Robinson said in a social media post on Thursday that her comments were "disrespectful," and she was referring to the land having limited natural resources.  

Minister sorry for 'crappy piece of land' remark that angered pro-Palestinian groups