Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2024 03:48 PM
  • International students will be allowed to work 24 hours a week starting in September

The Liberals temporarily waived the 20-hour cap on work hours for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to ease labour shortages.

That waiver expires Tuesday.

"Looking at best practices and policies in other like-minded countries, most of them limit the number of working hours for international students. Canada's rules need to be aligned or we will find our programs attracting more and more applicants whose primary intent is to work and not study," Miller said. 

"To be clear, the purpose of the international student program is to study and not to work."

The new work limit comes as the federal government clamps down on a surge in international student enrolments across the country. 

Critics have warned that allowing international students to work full-time could turn a study permit into an unofficial work visa, which would undermine its purpose. 

However, the federal government is also hearing from international students who say they need to work more to pay for their studies. 

Miller said his government is setting the cap at 24 hours because that seems "reasonable," and would allow students to work three full eight-hour shifts a week.

He also noted that internal work by the department shows more than 80 per cent of international students are currently working more than 20 hours a week.

The work hours limit will return to 20 hours per week until September, when the government can implement a permanent change to make it 24 hours.

There are no limits on the number of hours international students can work when they're not actively enrolled in class, such as during the summer.

The Canadian Press reported earlier this year that officials in Miller's department warned the government in 2022 that the temporary waiver could distract students from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs.

Miller previously floated the idea of setting the cap permanently at 30 hours a week. However, on Monday, the immigration minister said that would be too close to full-time hours.

"We know from studies as well that when you start working in and around 30-hour levels, there is a material impact on the quality of your studies," he said.

Miller extended the waiver on work hours in December because he didn't want the change to affect students during the school year itself.

MORE National ARTICLES

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured
Mounties say it happened on Sunday morning at a home on Lalonde Road and that it was a targeted incident. They say surveillance footage shows a dark-coloured, extended cab pickup leaving the home at the time of the shooting.  

Prince George RCMP shooting leaves one injured

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall
During the Regular Council Meeting on Monday, Surrey Council voted in favour of a $2.53M contract to build a new Strawberry Hill Community Hall. In 2021, a fire destroyed the historic Strawberry Hill Hall that was currently under construction as part of a $1.2M rehabilitation project that would have seen areas built for childcare and community rentals. 

Surrey Council approves contract to build new Strawberry Hill Community Hall

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Man violently robbed in home invasion
The two suspects forced entry into the victim’s suite near East Hastings and Gore on July 5. They violently beat him and stole his various possessions. The victim was taken to hospital for his injuries. VPD patrol officers and detectives from VPD’s Major Crime Section launched an investigation immediately.

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting
Surrey R-C-M-P say their suspect was picked up in Calgary last Friday and remains in custody in Surrey, awaiting his next court date on August 10th. Several weapons offences have also been laid after shots were fired at a vehicle in the Newton area, injuring the occupant, who survived.

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers
The BC Maritime Employers Association says the offer being presented is the same one leaders of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union had previously rejected, which briefly sent workers back to the picket line last week. 

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday
Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Public Services and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek and Mental Health and Addictions Minister Carolyn Bennett all announced this week that they will not seek re-election.

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday