Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta government to release revised school library book ban

Alberta government to release revised school library book ban
The new version would come three days after the government directed school boards to pause their work in complying with the original ministerial order.

Alberta government to release revised school library book ban

Carney pledges $370M in incentives for canola sector

Carney pledges $370M in incentives for canola sector
China hit Canadian canola with a 75.8 per cent tariff last month, a measure widely seen as a response to Canada’s 100 per cent tariff on Chinese electric vehicles.

Carney pledges $370M in incentives for canola sector

Carney announces supports for sectors affected by U.S. tariffs

Carney announces supports for sectors affected by U.S. tariffs
Carney says he's also introducing a “Buy Canadian” policy for the federal government, new supports for the canola sector and a one-year delay to the electric vehicle sales mandate.

Carney announces supports for sectors affected by U.S. tariffs

Carney calls for 'maximum pressure' on Russia as Putin issues threat to allies

Carney calls for 'maximum pressure' on Russia as Putin issues threat to allies
Carney says that pressure has "several aspects," including ensuring Ukrainian forces are armed, that sanctions against Russia are in place and that Ukraine is supported "when there is a cessation of hostility."

Carney calls for 'maximum pressure' on Russia as Putin issues threat to allies

Unemployment rate climbed to 7.1 per cent in August as economy lost 66,000 jobs

Unemployment rate climbed to 7.1 per cent in August as economy lost 66,000 jobs
The unemployment rate ticked up to 7.1 per cent in August as the economy lost 66,000 jobs for the month. The monthly jobs report comes after the July labour force survey that showed a loss of 41,000 jobs and an unemployment rate of 6.9 per cent.

Unemployment rate climbed to 7.1 per cent in August as economy lost 66,000 jobs

Elon Musk's Neuralink brain chip implanted into two quadriplegic Canadian patients

Elon Musk's Neuralink brain chip implanted into two quadriplegic Canadian patients
They are part of the first clinical trial outside of the United States to test the safety and effectiveness of Elon Musk's Neuralink wireless brain chip, which he introduced to the public in 2020, and was first implanted in a paralyzed American in 2024.

Elon Musk's Neuralink brain chip implanted into two quadriplegic Canadian patients