Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada providing $3 million in humanitarian aid for Afghans after earthquake

Canada providing $3 million in humanitarian aid for Afghans after earthquake
A news release issued by Global Affairs Canada today says $1.3 million will be allocated to the World Food Programme to "scale-up its ongoing response" through the provision of food and logistical services.

Canada providing $3 million in humanitarian aid for Afghans after earthquake

Local emergency declared over B.C. fire that shut highway as evacuation orders expand

Local emergency declared over B.C. fire that shut highway as evacuation orders expand
The Fraser Valley Regional District says it has declared a state of local emergency and issued an evacuation order for the Coquihalla Lakes Lodge and the Coquihalla Summit Snowmobile Club site due to the Mine Creek fire that shut the highway on Wednesday.

Local emergency declared over B.C. fire that shut highway as evacuation orders expand

Ottawa must cancel or significantly reform temporary foreign worker program, says Eby

Ottawa must cancel or significantly reform temporary foreign worker program, says Eby
Eby says one reason B.C. is facing "significant fiscal headwinds" is because of "very high unemployment rates" among young people, linked to both the temporary foreign worker program and the international student program.

Ottawa must cancel or significantly reform temporary foreign worker program, says Eby

'It makes people want to read': Stores see sales spike after Alberta book ban

'It makes people want to read': Stores see sales spike after Alberta book ban
Kelly Dyer with Audreys Books in Edmonton said the store has noticed a jump in sales since July, when the province announced the ban on books with explicit sexual content.

'It makes people want to read': Stores see sales spike after Alberta book ban

Canadian among injured in deadly Lisbon streetcar crash

Canadian among injured in deadly Lisbon streetcar crash
At least 17 people died in the wreck, with another 21 injured.

Canadian among injured in deadly Lisbon streetcar crash

Head of hard-right U.S. think tank no longer set to meet Carney's cabinet

Head of hard-right U.S. think tank no longer set to meet Carney's cabinet
Heritage Foundation president Kevin Roberts was on an initial list of speakers expected to address cabinet today as part of a session on striking a new economic and security relationship with the United States.

Head of hard-right U.S. think tank no longer set to meet Carney's cabinet